14 January 2014

Operation Smile :)

By Francis Lloyd Sauza



Dental extraction is one of the greatest fears of many people including myself. Last August 08, 2012, I underwent dental extraction, dental filling, and oral prophylaxis or simply put, teeth cleaning. I had two of my upper left teeth extracted and as well as had dental filling to three of my teeth. Can't remember which part.

And on August 15, 2012 same fearful occurrence took place. Had dental filling and extraction once again. This time I had two of my lower teeth extracted. One in the mid-right jaw and another at the mid-left jaw. It seems that I made teeth extraction as my hobby for two consecutive weeks. And also, I had dental filling to three of my teeth. To sum up, I had 4 teeth extracted and had dental filling to 6 of my teeth.

Just so you know, ever since I was kid I really had a 'phobia' in everything that's medically-related including dentals particularly tooth extraction. I know some of you can relate to this unexplainable fear that I'm talking about.

They say that the very cave that you are afraid to enter turns out to be the source of what you are looking for. This is actually true since we might not understand it at first why we have to go through such tests. But in the end, we are grateful for that wound as it taught us a lesson.

After all the dental extractions that I went through last month, I realized that it's actually a vehicle for an enhanced self-confidence, I realized that getting rid of your damaged, ugly teeth is indeed a self-esteem booster. Not only that, I'm feeling better health-wise too. As a matter of fact, removal of a diseased tooth was a common treatment for various medical conditions back in the day since antibiotics has not yet been discovered and chronic tooth infections were often linked to a variety of health problems. For this reason, tooth extraction was the only way to break free from diseases and cure medical conditions. It has been used to treat a variety of illness in the past. And believe it or not, it was also used as a method of torture to obtain forced confessions particularly as a dreadful form of physical torture.

Dental extraction is the removal of a tooth from the mouth. It is also known as exodontia. Actually, there are a lot of reasons why extractions are performed. The common tooth damage due to breakage or decay.

In my case, I had my teeth extracted because of several reasons: severe tooth decay or infection, (acute or chronic alveolar abscess). Plus my teeth cannot be restored endodontically anymore. In some way, it's also for cosmetic reason since those teeth that underwent extraction were already poor in appearance, thus, they are unsuitable for restoration. And also there's not enough space for my wisdom teeth (impacted third molars).

On the other hand, dental filling also known as dental restoration is a dental restorative material used to restore the function, integrity and morphology of missing tooth structure. It is called 'pasta' in our culture.

TYPES OF EXTRACTION

Actually, extractions are often categorized as simple and surgical. If the teeth are visible, it undergoes a simple extraction and it is performed under a local anaesthetic and only uses instruments so as to elevate or grasp the visible portion of the tooth.

Another form of dental extraction is surgical extraction. A tooth extraction is considered as surgical if the teeth cannot be easily accessed because they have broken under the gum line or because they have not erupted fully. Thus, it needs the soft tissues covering the tooth and bone to be elevated and it may also need to remove some of the overlying and/or surrounding jawbone tissue with a drill or osteotome.

Surgical extractions typically performed under a general anaesthetic and it alsmost always require an incision.


COMPLICATIONS

As much as we would like to avoid it, complications may really arise from dental extraction such as infection, prolonged bleeding, swelling and bone fragments.

For, infection, my dentist prescribed me antibiotics after the extraction. For prolonged bleeding, my dentist advised me to take a Tranexamic Acid so as to stop bleeding. Actually, dentists have a variety of means at their disposal to address bleeding; however, it is important to note that small amounts of blood mixed in the saliva after extractions are normal, even up to 72 hours after extraction.

Swelling is also one of the complications that you’ll experience after dental extraction. It actually depends on the amount of surgery performed to extract a tooth. Yet if it’s a simple dental extraction, swelling is not that major.

After extraction, I noticed that there is a bone fragment left on the my upper left area of my gum where the extraction took place. I wondered if what it is. Then I found out that it’s actually called broken fragments of bone or tooth left over from the extraction that stick out through the gums.In the latter case, the fragments will usually work their way out on their own. Like in my case, I think after a month, it just erode on its own without doing anything.

Here’s what my dentist advised me to do:


AFTER THE EXTRACTION

Take out the gauze on the affected area. No need to replace it. If there’s a blood flow or bleeding, take a Tranexamic Acid every 6 hours, and put an ice bag on the area or side of your face where the tooth was extracted. In my case, I put an ice bag on my left cheek since my extraction took place in the middle of my left jaw. Then take something cold like ice cream, shakes, ice cold water and all that cold beverages for faster healing of the area where your tooth extraction took place.

SORE ON THE AREA


Just take 500mg of Mefenamic Acid and continue taking Amoxicillin. My dentist told me that the sore on the extracted area is actually normal since I have a wound and rest is essential.

FEVER AFTER EXTRACTION

Drink lots of liquids such as water, fruit juices, or milk. Amoxicillin should be every 8 hours and buy Tempra Forte. Take it very 6 hours. Take a rest. And stay away from the heat of the sun as it is not good.

Follow the writer on Twitter.com/FrancisLloyd

No comments: