09 January 2014

Myrtle Sarrosa: Out To Save The World

By Francis Lloyd Sauza

Photo from MyrtleGail.com

Famous Ilonggo cosplayer, actress, Pinoy Big Brother: Teen Edition 4 Big Winner, Myrtle Sarrosa talks making a difference, reaching the top, yet still remaining grounded and attests that dreams certainly lie right in the palm of your hand

It all started by writing her goals on a piece of paper and having to read them every morning of her life. It seems that the destiny of the Pinoy Big Brother: Teen Edition 4 Big Winner, Myrtle Sarrosa has already been plotted ever since her early life.

You certainly can't develop a character in six weeks time as they're just going to be gone after a minute or two. This is why Myrtle started the ball rolling ever since she was just a little girl. "What’s different about me and sets me apart from other teenagers out there is that at a very young age, my parents have taught us to have goals. And these goals are written on papers and we have to read it every morning. It keeps us focus," reveals this Cosplay Cutie.

"I think I was 12 years old when Kim Chiu became the first PBB Big Winner for the Teen Edition. After watching it, I wrote on my list of goals that I will be a PBB housemate.  So every time I arrive in Manila, I always ask my Dad to drive by the PBB house where I will have my picture taken. My desire to be a housemate intensified."

Of course it's easy for teens of this generation to be lured by the misleading effects of consumerism and mass media that sells them an image of themselves particularly by the entertainment media. Teens of this Information Age thinks that what's 'cool' is 'in.' It looks as if they needed to belong to the crowd. It seems that teens are imitating the images being sold to them. In spite of this pressure from the society, Myrtle remains headstrong and focused on her goals. "As a leader of the youth, nothing will beat living by example. I became an SK President at the age of 15.  At that time, I told myself that I have to somehow excel in my studies to set an example for the youth, thus, with God's help I passed the UPCAT (University of the Philippines College Admission Test) and got accepted in UP.  I also notice that there are so many untimely pregnancies.  It seems that teenagers associate desirability of the opposite sex by having a relationship. So, I told myself that I won’t have a boyfriend till I’m twenty. When asked why I joined PBB, my answer was, to be an example to the youth because in my heart I really want to set an example. Unfortunately, I could not be an example for the youth all the time and I appreciate that despite my faults which were shown and highlighted at PBB, they still love me and accepted me."

That is why at the age of 15, Myrtle is already the SK President in her hometown in Barotac Nuevo, at 16, she's already one of the popular cosplayer in the country, and when at 17, she's already the Pinoy Big Brother: Teen Edition 4 Big Winner. "To all the young people out there, I have always said this - set a goal for yourself and read it every day. Dream big and act on it!"

Myrtle is currently a second year BS Accountancy Student at the University of the Philippines Visayas. When asked why she shifted from Political Science to Accountancy, she shares: "I love Political Science because it trained me to "think on my feet."  When I was at PBB they said that I know how to answer, I thank my teachers for that! Political Science is a very tough course and I love it.  However, I really want to be a corporate lawyer and the best training for that would be to have an accounting background and take Law later."


FIRST ILONGGO PBB BIG WINNER

“I am thankful that I am the Big Winner.  I always believe that being a Big Winner is a destiny. It’s a gift from God. It is very difficult to influence people to like you and more so to vote for you. I am very grateful to the Ilonggos and other supporters who were there for me despite the fact that they know my faults and weakness.   You guys are like my family who stick with me though good times and bad, thank you very much!”

“How does it feel to become the Big Winner?  Well, I am still me.  I still get scolded by my parents.  I has not sink in yet, maybe it never will. However, I now have more friends whose sacrifices for me are beyond my comprehension.  There are people I don’t know who spent more than Php 60,000.00 voting for me during the Big Nite and the amazing thing is, “ang dami nila at di ko sila kamag-anak.” I received open letters from a consultant from abroad who spent time to write that very long heart touching letter.  I thank God for these people!”

“Be passionate about something to the point that you will do it for free because this will make you special.  Be unique if you want to be in PBB.”

IN A WORLD OF LONG RED CARPETS

After winning the fourth edition of Pinoy Big Brother, Myrtle's dreams became a reality. “There are so many opportunities that are coming my way. I am now appearing in Kahit Puso’y Masugatan and Todamax. Young JV and I have a song together and I hope his album will receive a platinum award. I am also the current VJ of Hero TV.  I will soon be a perfume endorser, it is called Lolita.  I had also appeared in several TV shows and traveling in different places in the country for mall tours.  I thank God for these opportunities.”

“Aside from Politics, Cosplay and Acting, Myrtle is also into music. As a matter of fact, she covers Japanese, Korean, Filipino and English Songs and some of her cover songs are posted on the World Wide Web. 3. And just recently, she released a digital single together with your fellow Ilonggo Singer/Rapper, Young JV. "I always wished to release a record and I my wish was granted.  After coming out of the PBB house, my manager told me to study a song and later they told me that I will record it.  It’s a duet with an Ilonggo singer, Young JV. The song is about teenagers.


COSPLAY CUTIE'S ADVICE

“Cosplay is not for everyone.  You need to be creative and it’s a very expensive hobby but if there is a will there is a way. Normally, a cosplayer designs their costume, have it made, wear the costume and later sell it via internet. Cosplayers, by necessity, have learned the rudiments of internet selling. My first cosplay costume was just PhP 500 because the one who made it was a friend who was still learning how to sew.  I have a costume that I made and I have an emotional attachment to it, it took me an entire summer do make it with the help of my friends.”

“Aside from money constraint, a cosplayer also needs courage.  It is easy to have the costume but do you have what it takes to actually wear it?  What would other people say? Thus, cosplay is not for the faint hearted.”

“Do I recommend cosplay to other teenagers?  I recommend passion. Find something that you are passionate about, have the courage to do it even if you have to do it for free. What is life if you will not be able to live it the way you want it?”

You can follow Myrtle on her official Twitter account: Twitter.com/MyrtleGail. Check out her official website: www.MyrtleGail.com. Like her on her official Facebook fan pages: Facebook.com/MyrtleGail and Facebook.com/MyrtleSarrosa


Follow the writer on Twitter.com/FrancisLloyd

No comments: