06 February 2014

Baked to Perfection

By Francis Lloyd Sauza


Delifranz Backerei heir and owner, Anthony James Po shares what is it like to be an heir of a legendary Ilonggo bakery

Delifranz Backerei heir and owner, Anthony James Po

Back in the day, heirloom stories used to be the typical plot of fairy tales. In the present time, it already became a run-of-the-mill theme of countless movies and soap operas here and there. But for Anthony James Po, it's reality. Incredibly lucky to be grow up in castle walls, James' destiny in business was already written in the palm of his hands. That's why, at 21, this young lad already owns the legendary Delifranz Backerei. "My parents originally own Delifranz Backerei. It was built 25 years ago. Before I graduated, they both decided to give me this business for my future. Delifranz is where I grew up. In fact, when I was a kid, I used to hang around the bakery and sometimes, I help the bakers make some cakes. And this is where I got my HRM course," he shares.

James took up Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management (BSHRM) in St. Paul University Iloilo. "As a fresh graduate I'm still learning how to handle our business. I still have to learn more to be a professional. I'm still learning how to handle our business. It will take time for me to know and gain more things."


PREAHEATED TO RULE

At a young age, James accepted the responsibility to manage Delifranz Backerei. "Both my parents are entrepreneurs and they really want me to learn how to handle our business so that in the near future I already have an idea on how to manage it alone. Actually, all of my family and relatives are entrepreneurs so I guess I will still continue what they have started and it goes on and on."

Butterscotch from Delifranz Backerei

DELIFRANZ BACKEREI VS. OTHER POPULAR BAKE SHOPS

James spills the beans regarding the edge of Delifranz Backerei among other local and more popular bake shops. "We sell class but affordable cakes and breads. I make sure that people can afford to buy our breads. That is also why my parents built this store."


FLOUR AND WHEELS

After he graduated, James' dad gave him a 2011 Mitsubishi Montero Sport GLS-V which he has been driving for almost 6 months now. He is a member of Team AudioDrive, a group of car audio enthusiasts in Iloilo City. In spite of this, he shares that business always comes as his top priority. "I put business first before cars because I want our business to be successful. And when I'm already a successful businessman, I can buy the cars that I want," he unveils.


ADVICE

James shares some business tips and on what does it take to become a young entrepreneur, how he treat his employees. "Well you have to focus first in business to successful and you also have to learn a lot of things. You have to know how to give time for business and God not only to focus business but also with God as a Christian I make sure I go to church every week and I also do services in our church to give back all the blessings what God has given me and my family."

"I grew up with some of our employees. That's why we treat each and everyone as a family. But then again, they still they respect me as the son of the owner," he adds.

Follow the writer on Twitter.com/FrancisLloyd

No comments: