26 October 2012

Slippery When Wet!


I recently got into an accident in a hillside resort in Alimodian, Iloilo. I slide on a wet slippery cement stairs and got a concussion. I had a lacerated wound on the post-occipital (back) area of my head.

It was twilight of October 03, 2012, my workmates and I went to Maria Paz Hillside Resort in Alimodian, Iloilo to have a team building. I supposed to write a travel article for the trip which was actually one of the reasons why I went with them. Yet because of the accident that happened to me which could have ended my life unexpectedly, I'm going to turn this travel article into a health article to raise awareness on wet slippery stairs that can pose serious safety hazards.

We were supposed to go to a private resort in Guimaras yet because of the bad weather on that day, we suddenly switch to an alternative plan. We opted to go to Alimodian instead. While on our way to the hillside resort, it feels like we're going to shoot a horror film a la 'Villa Estrella' because of the way going there, dark, fue to the absence of street lights and trees on the way to the hillside resort.

The moment you touched down to the hillside resort, you can immediately inhale the fresh air and the forest-feel like of the surroundings. When we got to our cottage, I was in awe that the cottage was spacious, lots of double deck kind of beds and a good bathroom. My workmates cooked food for dinner. Then after dinner, they swom and I took the role of a photographer while they're all clad in swimwear. After that, we watched a horror movie and partied all night long.

We slept around dawn and we woke up before midday. I woke up in a gloomy morning of October 04, having a headache perhaps due to the lack of sleep. I went to the bathroom of our cottage to take a shower only to find out that it's brownout and there's no water coming out of the faucet. So I went up to the vacant cottage next to our cottage to check if its also the same.  

Thus, I confirmed that its indeed brownout, so I decided to go back to our cottage and as I'm going down the cement stairs, I accidentally slide and found out that my head hit the edge of the wide cement stairs. Thank God that I'm still very much conscious and have managed to get up immediately.

I touched the back of my head with my fingers and saw blood on it, I was knocked for six, and thought that it was already the end of me. There's loads of blood dripping at the back of my head already and my supervisor asked me if what happened to me and my other workmate saw what happened and aked me to sit and take off my shirt. So I took my shirt off and they wrapped it around my head so as to control the bleeding. My supervisor immediately instructed my nurse workmates to wake up and assess what happened to me. Thank God I had workmates that are nurses. One of my nurse workmates told our supervisor that I need to have my wound stitched at the nearest hospital. My supervisor asked my nurse workmate if there's a need to go to the hospital and my workmate replied that we need to have the wound stitched since it's open.

So I was rushed to the nearest hospital in Alimodian in Aleosan District Hospital. Thank God one of my workmates brought his car with him to the trip which was the one we used to go to the hillside resort. Thus, it somehow made it more convenient for me to go to the hospital.

At the hospital, I sat at the wheelchair while waiting for my turn to be attended by a physician. After waiting for about an hour, I was finally attended by a physician. They brought me to one of the rooms in the hospital while sitting in a wheelchair. Then they asked me to lie on the bed sideways facing right. Then one of the nurses of the hospital started to cut some of my hair at the back and shaved it. After that, she asked me to wait for the doctor that will stitch my wound. 

After several minutes, the doctor came and informed me that she'll going to inject an anaesthesia in order for me not to feel the pain while she's doing the stitch. If truth be told, although there's an anaesthesia, I can still feel the pain while the sutures are being sewn to my broken scalp. While the doctor is stitching my broken scalp, we engaged in a conversation, she asked me if how did it happened and all that. She also asked me if I fainted or puked the moment I slide  Then I said thank God it didn't happen. Actually the conversation somehow became an instrument in order for me not to feel the pain that much while my scalp is being sewn.

After the procedure, the doctor advised me to observe within 24 hours if I'm going to have a headache, or if I'll faint or something like that since if that's gonna happen, I'll be needing a CT Scan (computed tomography). She prescribed me some meds to take as well as an anti-tetanus vaccine. After that, we went back to the resort and I ate breakfast and asked my supervisor that I'll go ahead and go back to the city in order for me to have my wound checked at our company's clinic. So I went ahead.

Fortunately, my workmate that has a car, would also have to go home to the city because of some personal stuff so I just hitched with him going back to the city. As soon as I arrived in the city, I immediately went to our company's clinic and the attending physician prescribed me meds for my concussion. Our company doctor prescribed me an antibiotic called Augmentin, Serc for dizziness, and Ponstan SF for pain. I was also injected two anti-tetanus vaccines on my left and right arm.

The doctor told me that the dizziness is normal because of the trauma that my head went through. She also advised me not to take a full shower for the meantime until my lacerated wound healed. She advised me to use a towel to shampoo the top part of my head and to make sure not to wet the back area of my head where the wound was. So I just took a half bath for around 13 days. I went back to our company's clinic on the 11th day to have my sutures taken off.

After the concussion that I went through I thought that I'd be losing my life already. Tears fell after my lacerated wound was stitched since I was extremely grateful to God that I'm still alive. That I still have a mission to do in this world. That's when I realized how precious life is. That in a matter of a split second you wouldn't know that you won't be able to see this world again. I was extremely awakened by this mishap and made me realize that being alive is the utmost happiness and gift that you can get from up above.

No comments: